Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

My fiancé and I just separated, however I had used

Customer Question

My fiancé and I just separated, however I had used funds from my inheritance account to buy a truck and boat. The truck was for him, boat for whole family. Who is the rightful owner of these items? He seems to think he is, and what would I need to do to get them back? Thank you
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 4 months ago.

What does the name on the title to the truck and boat state? Typically, the name on title controls.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They are both open titles, his name is ***** ***** but never notarized. However I was under the understanding that if funds are used from my inheritance account, the property would be mine....

Yes, the property would be yours as long as the property was not transmuted to joint ownership reflected on the title. However, ,if title is in your name or the funds are in a sloe bank account it is considered separate property. Any inheritance is separate property unless transmuted to your spouse or other individual.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.