Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My learning disabled sister is the beneficiary of my

Customer Question

My learning disabled sister is the beneficiary of my deceased father's General Electric investment fund (approx $85,000 to date). My father passed in 1991 and we have not assisted my sister, who is on SSI and supported by state housing, in accessing this money to make sure she didn't loose these federal and state benefits. When my dad established this account, my sister was living at home and my parents never thought she might live independently, which she has been for approx. 22 years at this point. So now, 25 years later this money is still accruing interest and we have never addressed it out of fear of negative impact on my sister. My mom's attorney suggested my sister establish a D4a Trust to ultimately transfer the money into. Do you have advice on what the next steps and tax implifications might be now that we have not addressed this account? My sister has never made more than $10,000/year as a grocery store bagger). Cheryl
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking if a trust can help her pass this money on and keep her benefits?