Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My mother passed away in 2007 and my brother and I ended up

Customer Question

My mother passed away in 2007 and my brother and I ended up with her house. She didn't leave a will and we went to probate and the house was awarded to us. My brother doesn't live in the same town any more, has been gone for about 5+years. I have been doing home improvements and he hasn't put any money towards to help improve this home. He says he doesn't want to move back to this house and doesn't want anything to do with it and is willing to give his part up ( which means, he wants money). I feel I really don't owe him anything but I'm sure I do. What type of papers do I need to have for him to sign over his part and would I go with how much the house was worth when I paid taxes for this pass year.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone whocan. There may be a slight delay in myresponses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

What type of papers do I need to have for him to sign over his part and would I go with how much the house was worth when I paid taxes for this pass year.

.

You would just need him to sign over a quitclaim deed from him over to you and then you would record it at the local land records office to complete the transfer. You can download a quitclaim deed form and complete it yourself and have brother sign it in front of a notary.

.

You can download a quitclaim deed template from a site like USLegalforms.com for minimal cost. I use this site myself as they have professionally drafted state specific forms that comply with all state laws.

.

http://www.uslegalforms.com/ok/OK-02-77.htm

.

As for the value, yes, the taxable value is considered appropriate to use for valuation purposes.

.

.

thanks