Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

Our mother died April 18; she had dementia. I asked copy of

Customer Question

Our mother died April 18; she had dementia. I asked for a copy of the trust, and received only a 1-page amendment to the trust, excluding myself and another of 5 siblings just 16 months before our mother died. First, I question whether our mother was coerced into signing the amendment, or if she even knew what she was signing.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I don't have one on retainer yet. I was trying to find out how much the estate is worth in order to determine whether or not pursuing a court case would be worth it. Through my brother who was NOT excluded, there was a lawyer request for a copy of both the trust and an accounting. That was done on June 2, and his lawyer just got back a short "delay" type letter saying that our sister's attorney would meet with her "soon" and that they would respond "appropriately."
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: My brother lives in Maryland, but our mother's will (which included all 5 of us) and trust (excluding 2 of us) was drawn up in Illinois.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That's a summary, so nothing more specifically.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 5 months ago.

are you asking if you are entitled to see the entire trust and how to pursue that?