Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My Mother just passed away and I've been her sole care giver

Customer Question

My Mother just passed away and I've been her sole care giver for the past 4 yrs. She left everything in a trust to myself and my brother and sister to be divided equally and her granddaughter trustee. They are in a huge hurry to sell the family home where I have lived for the 20 years . there is a reverse mortgage on the house of which my Mom used $120,000. We3 buried my Mom on 6/6/2016 and my niece (trustee) is telling me that we have to list the house for sale by July 23 or they will slap a lien on the house. Its been my understanding we would have a year in which to prepare the property for sale. As I have not been able to work since 2013 when my Mom was released to Hospice care I have no money in the bank and my niece wont release any funds from the trust cause she says she has to pay my moms credit card debts first (11,000). Do I have any recourse what so ever or can they just put me out on the curb with my moms 2 dogs?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you provide me a bit more information? In what state are you located? Thanks.