Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My Dad's will was probated in Texas and he owns producing

Customer Question

My Dad's will was probated in Texas and he owns producing royalty interest in Illinois. What does the executor need to do to transfer the interest to the beneficiaries?
Thanks so much for your help.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

What does the executor need to do to transfer the interest to the beneficiaries?

.

The executor is going to have to file a separate probate case in IL called an "ancillary estate" which is basically a supplemental estate case to deal with assets in IL. Each state has exclusive jurisdiction over any assets located within their geographic boundaries so hence the reason for the separate probate case.

.

.

thanks