How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 726
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been legally separated from my husband years. We

Customer Question

I have been legally separated from my husband for 11 years. We reside in the state of Ohio. We have one living child together. He recently passed away. I believe that I am still the executor of the will that was drawn up 28 years ago. I need advice on the responsbility of funeral arrangements, property, outstanding debts, and legal obligations of myself and my daughter.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I will send you the offer in the next message.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We are declining the phone call option at this point, but looking forward to hearing your response. Thank you
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 3 months ago.

Ok so, if there is a will that has not been altered and that will names you as the executor, then you must go to probate court and open probate for his estate. You must make funeral arrangements for him, notify all of his creditors, pay any outstanding debts, and then divide any remaining funds/distribute any property pursuant to his wishes as detailed in the will.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What if he did not have any money to pay his bills? Who is responsible for his cremation and debts?
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 3 months ago.

His estate would still be responsible. If he owned any property, they will attempt to place a lien on it to repay the debt.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think I will have to put his assets...(a truck and landscaping equipment ) into probate...what does release of assets mean?
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 3 months ago.

The following link provides the information you will need regarding the release of assets:

Related Estate Law Questions