Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.

My question is about land. a person died without a will left

Customer Question

my question is about land. a person died without a will left a house the taxes was three years behind the oldest child being paying the taxes since 2007 can she claim owership none of the children is his
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Mark replied 4 months ago.

Yes. A probate most likely will need to be opened to transfer the land. If they object, then they should be required to pay their share of the taxes. It really depends upon the law of the state. Typically the child would have priority over a person who is not a child. If they do have an interest, then Court may force a sale. It depends upon the state and the relationship to the decedent of the objecting party. Can you provide additional information? Are they step children?

Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 4 months ago.

Are there stepchildren? What state?