Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate

Will my son be responsible credit card debt and medical

Customer Question

Will my son be responsible for my credit card debt and medical expenses upon my death. He is the beneficiary on my $10,000 life insurance policy which is to be used primarily to cover burial expenses. I have no estate
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

No. If he isn't a co-owner of the credit card accounts and hasn't signed anything with the hospital guaranteeing the debt will be paid, then he is not legally liable for your debts. If you were to pass, only your estate is liable to pay your debts.

And the life insurance is not part of your estate and goes directly to the named beneficiary outside probate.

So if you pass and don't have any assets in your estate, the creditors just don't get paid and have to write it off.