RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law

My mom just passed recently and I have been having issues

Customer Question

my mom just passed recently and I have been having issues with the insurance companies, I am my moms only child and the sole beneficiary to her estate and on one of the policies she hasn't named a beneficiary and they told me that the estate becomes the beneficiary. Since I am her only child, shouldn't I take over as executor and beneficiary?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You would need to make application for court supervised probate if she did not have a will.

Step by step

Once you got o hearing on your application you receive letters of administration, this allows them to pay you the funds.

This may take you a couple of weeks , no way around it since there was no named beneficiary.It is considered an estate asset here.

I am so sorry for you loss and I appreciate the chance to help you today.

Please if you have more follow up just ask.It is never a problem and you have a lot going on here I am sure.