LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor

Can a trustee live out of state from the property being

Customer Question

Can a trustee live out of state from the property being managed? If Yes. Is the trustee compelled to come back to the state the property is in to testify in a lawsuit?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8-Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here:
Customer: New York. Trust was created in Virginia for property in new york
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 4 months ago.

A trustee is permitted to live out of state. SCPA 707 governs the qualifications of a trustee and there is no requirement regarding in state residence.

The trustee, by accepting the position, subjects him/herself to the jurisdiction of the court; as such the trustee can be compelled to testify in a lawsuit that is/was part of the trust. Furthermore, the trustee has a fiduciary duty to the estate, so that if testifying in a lawsuit is necessary to protect/preserve the trust assets, such a responsibility would fall within the duties of the trustee.

The trustee may be reimbursed for any expenses incurred in their role as trustee.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Checking in on the above;

thank you for using Just Answer.