Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My mother had a will made up after she realized that my

Customer Question

My mother had a will made up after she realized that my sister stole her will.
My mom is blind so I called the lawyer for her. He told me to call back Thursday at 11:00AM an then put my mom on the phone an for me to go outside as I did.
He talked to her an got the information he needed from her.
After mom died my sister objected to the will an got a lawyer.
In court for 6 plus years since 2010 but now a new judge finally ruled.
Moms lawyer testified in court that he told me he don't make house calls an didn't know mom was blind which is a lie. When told him mom couldn't write he said have her put her mark on it. I chuckled an said she can write but she is blind. He said, then help her sign it.
He sent his secretary an her husband to execute the will. I had to help mom sign the will cause she was blind.
This lawyer never met with my mother at her house an only had conversations with her over the phone concerning the will. Infact after a few days later I call the lawyer advising him the will wasn't notarized an he said that it dont have to be.
He is also the lawyer who did the first will for mom an produced a copy to the court of first will but being it was a copy it wasn't original so no good but only used to show intent of moms wishes. The wills basically read the same leaving everything to me because of my handicapped son an I wouldn't be able to work cause he needs 24/7 care plus the fact I ran the business for 25 years keeping money coming in to them.
My sister an lawyer claim undue influence an coercion. I call it caring for my mother whom I love dearly.
I believe if the lawyer had come to house which is close by maybe 8 blocks an brought witnesses, an his secretary/notary this would have produced a different outcome.
From what I understand now when the will was executed I shouldn't be in the room nor helping her sign the will. also he never got a conflict of interest wavier. Whatever that is but it was brought up in court.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note: (1) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; and (2) I answer most questions within the hour. However, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and JA’s site disclaimers presented to you earlier.

1. Can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?