Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert

My sister's husband died and then my sister died less than a

Customer Question

My sister's husband died and then my sister died less than a month later. Neither had a will. There were no children or living parents. The heirs are the siblings of each of the deceased. I have been named the administrator of the estate.
My sister had numerous bank accounts in her name only that were pay on death beneficiary accounts. Am I correct in my assumption that those POD beneficiary accounts are not part of the estate and not part of probate? If I am correct, could you give me a section of probate law that I can refer to and/or sone case law? Thank you for any help you can give. Karen
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes, POD accounts are not part of the estate so log as the beneficiary is live when they were to be paid.

It's not a part of the probate code because it's not part of the probate.

If you will reply and tell me your state I can run a quick search to see if there is any case law but this is one of those things that is so much a part of the lw that there might not be any case law because no one would challenge it.