Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

I just lost a suit over a family trust. At the heart of the

Customer Question

I just lost a suit over a family trust. At the heart of the issue were two documents that the judge ruled against. Beneficiaries on an IRA, and joint tenancy on a house sale. My problem is that I got NO case presented in my behalf. My attorney did not depose either brother, he did NOT sit me down with him and go through the reasons for the issues at hand. He basically assumed that the written documents automatically applied, and he just basically phoned it in. To make matters worse, there is no court transcript. California apparently does not require it in civil law.
I have less than a week until the deadline to file notice of appeals. What do I do? I talked to one appeals attorney, and he didn't think any subjects in the trial are able to be appealed, so lack of adequate defense is my only possible action.
Pr Chris
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Have you called any other appellate attorneys?