Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My father died three years ago, July 2013. s life partner

Customer Question

My father died three years ago, July 2013. His life partner was named the executrix of the estate, and has a life estate for the three properties he owns; one in Lumberton, NC. and two in Little River, SC. I am one of his two daughters which are also listed in the will. She cannot sell or do anything with any of the properties without our consent. She has been having a "Fire Sale" over the years, selling everything inside the three properties. She has recently refused to pay the utilities or taxes on any of the properties. She is now living in the house in North Carolina, but not paying taxes. Her daughter is living in one of the properties in Little River, SC. She is paying the utilities but not the taxes. The life partner of the deceased is not speaking to my sister or myself, and we are at a loss as to what to do to resolve this issue. Can you please offer me any advice? Thank you!
Customer,***** NW Atlanta, GA 30318. 404/351/7529.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

In the life estate, does it state that she has to maintain the properties and pay any taxes, insurance, payments, etc. on them as a condition of being able to use them?