Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My father died without a will in February. He only has a

Customer Question

Hi, my father died without a will in February. He only has a checkings and savings account that I need to close. He lived in Alabama and I live in Maryland. My siblings live in Delaware. What do we need to do to close his bank accounts? It's probably only $100 in the accounts. Thank you.
JA: Dealing with estate issues can be complex, but getting accurate information now will save you headaches -- and potentially heartache! -- down the road. The attorneys we work with have a lot of experience, and I'd like to match you with the one who's the best fit. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not a this time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

In order to be able to close his accounts, someone will have to file a formal probate case to be appointed Administrator of his estate. After filing the petition and a short hearing, the judge will appoint that person and enter an order giving them authority to act on behalf of the estate.

.

The Admin would then have the legal duty to gather all assets, pay any debts, file any final taxes, prepare an inventory or assets, file a formal accounting, and then distribute any surplus assets and close the estate.

.

So from a practical perspective, if he didn't have any big assets like real estate, vehicles, or other large titled assets, then it may not be worth the time and filing fees to bother with a few accounts with only a couple hundred dollars because the Admin is signing on for a lot of work...

.

.

thanks