J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
64316804

My aunt died in February, the will has not been read. the

Customer Question

my aunt died in February, the will has not been read. the executor is spending money like crazy remodeling the house, transfering money from savings to checking, and her husband is doing the work. none of us have seen the will. my aunt told me before passing that she left money to me. Is it legal for the executor to
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. No it is not legal for an executor to do whatever they feel like with estate property and to use the funds of the estate personally. To obtain a copy of the Will, a beneficiary may do so by contacting the Clerk of the Court in the Probate Court in which the Will was submitted to probate. To the extent that the executor is not following the direction of the Will and not acting in the best interest of the beneficiaries of the Will, they can be personally liable.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!