Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My dad has a revocable trust, wants to change beneficiaries.

Customer Question

My dad has a revocable trust, wants to change beneficiaries. Told it was very expensive, should do a regular will now that mom was deceased. What do you think?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you sure that we are talking about a "revocable" trust or an "irrevocable" one?

.

Are there assets already transferred into the trust?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is a revocable trust....aka. changeable. Originally set up including specific grandkids at that time. . meanwhile mom has passed, and our family has grown, and dad wants to change it to just his children.

Ok, then the lawyer was simply lying to you...blatantly.

.

Amending a revocable trust is as simple as drafting up a written document called "Amendment to the XXXXXXXX Revocable Trust" (or whatever it is called) and then just writing out the changes to the trust, having the grantor (maker) sign it, and then have it notarized. Then it is physically attached to the original trust and a copy given to the trustee.

.

You can download a template that you can use over and over as needed here for a small fee:

.

NC Trust Amendment

.

This is a site I use myself when I need a form. They are professionally drafted and you can preview the document before purchasing it..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello! I was very happy with your help - but some of the response as to the document I needed was garbled, like a computer glitch. Mainly what the document is called to change beneficiaries on the revocable trust. Also, I'm the executor...is that the same as trustee?

Let me repost my comments and see if they come through clearer...

.

.

.

.

NC Trust Amendment

.

.

Mainly what the document is called to change beneficiaries on the revocable trust.

.

Just an Amendment to a Trust.

.

Also, I'm the executor...is that the same as trustee?

.

No, completely different. A trustee is in charge of administering a trust, which is done privately. An executor is in charge of an estate and settles the estate by going through the probate court.

.

.

thanks