Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

Barrister. I have inherited my Mom's house in Dallas, Tx.

Customer Question

Hello Barrister. I have inherited my Mom's house in Dallas, Tx. She died in 2009. Property taxes were not paid in 2010 to present. Am I responsible for these taxes? I want to live in the house. I do not want to sell it. I need your advice. Thank you
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

.

Can you tell me if mother's estate was never probated through the court and settled to transfer the house into your name?

.

Or is the house still in mother's name?

.

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her will was not probated. I found her handwritten will when going through her things a few years after she died. The house is still in her name.

Ok, from a purely legal perspective. until her will is probated and her estate settled, then the estate still owns the house. In order for ownership to pass to you, the house has to go through probate and be deeded out of the estate over to you personally.

.

So the estate owes the property taxes on the house, not you personally. But that doesn't really help things much if there aren't any assets in the estate to pay those taxes and if they aren't paid, the taxing authority will foreclose on the house and force a tax sale to pay off the delinquent taxes.

.

With that said, even if you had to take out a bad loan short term to save the house, it is worth it because you can later refinance the house or take out an equity loan at very low rates to pay off the tax loan.

.

.

thanks