Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My grandfather died and my father's name was not on the

Customer Question

My grandfather died and my father's name was not on the deed, so my cousin's feel that we are not considered heirs to the property? is that true?
JA: Dealing with estate issues can be complex, but getting accurate information now will save you headaches -- and potentially heartache! -- down the road. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: It is in the state of Arkansas.
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I will be in Arkansas on Sunday.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: There was some more land divided in Conway between all of my father's sisters and brothers, but for some reason my dad was left out. My dad was killed in an automobile accident while traveling 100 miles to work for the railroad in order to keep a job. At the time I was 16 years old. My Mother was very young and I remember her saying that there was no record that she was married to my dad. I believe my grandfather, because he had worked for the railroad kept insurance money from our family.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Was the property owned by your grandfather when he died? If yes, did he leave a will?