Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

I need to have 4 adoptions to be done of my step children.

Customer Question

I need to have 4 adoptions to be done of my step children. There is history of domestic violence with their biological father. He has removed himself from the picture and I would like to adopt the children. There is a court papers giving their mom sole custody of the children.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your specific question for us about this?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I get the papers to file them.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We want to file them soon and see if we can do it on our own

Thank you for your reply.

Texas requires an attorney to be used in this type of adoption, because they want an attorney to protect the interests of the children. Texas does not even make a petition for adoption form available in any of the online libraries, because they want them to be filed in court by an attorney. In fact, I had a customer who went to the Texas court library and asked for the petition for adoption from their form library and the librarian told them that was a form they did not have. The court simply wants parties to use an attorney to insure the rights of the children are protected.

Not only do you have to file a petition for adoption, each parent who will no longer have rights to the child will either have to voluntarily surrender their parental rights by signing a notarized affidavit waiving those rights or you have to bring them into court to have the court terminate those parental rights.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok do u know about how much it will cost. We don't know where the other parent is

Thank you for your reply.

Typically if it is all done at one time, typically it can cost about $2000, but if you cannot afford an attorney, you can go to the local legal aid office and qualify for low cost or free legal assistance from them and you can also call the Texas bar and ask for the pro bono (free) attorneys in your are for assistance.