Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
18572087

My mothers family owns a valuable 10,000 acre farm. story

Customer Question

My mothers family owns a valuable 10,000 acre farm. Long story short. Her father died . Her brothers took over. They stopped paying her divideds. She sued . She settled. She told my sister and I to sign some papers. We did I was 16 sis was 19. No notary was present. My sis and I signed over our shares we had no idea of the value or what we were really signing. Also as part of her settlement her brothers were supposed to pay her life insurance premiums until she died. The life insurance co went under and no knew life insurance was bought or paid for. This settlement was in 1988 or 1989. The farm is currently for sale for tens of millions. Anything I can do here. Is it worth calling a lawyer and if so what kind of lawyer?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 5 months ago.

My apologies but that is FALSE. There is no law granting sole full legal and physical custody to the mother. That is only true if the father is not listed on the birth certificate as the father. Otherwise the rights are fully co-equal between the parents. What you listed is what many believe to be a viable legal position but it does not happen to be one.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.