Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My Brother past away 3/20/16 Unknown to family 2 weeks I

Customer Question

My Brother past away 3/20/16
Unknown to family for over 2 weeks
I went to Virginia, found his personal papers & belongings had been gone through, all important pieces taken.
My Brother was on ss and that too was taken at an atm machine the afternoon He past and the next day.
The Bank acct.; though about empty,(> $10.00), has been frozen and the Bank informed ss.I believe.
**I'm left trying to save the Sailboat He lived on
that the Marina is trying to get by owed dock fees
from April on.
I need legal advice on how to approach the Marina. I did start Probate for my Brother and have been designated the Administrator which has cost me money out of pocket, but no pull with these people claiming the bills and physical posession of the Sailboat. What/how/whom do I speak to?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
In order to successfully deal with any of his creditors, you or the attorney for the estate would need to issue letters to each creditor and invite them to file a proof of claim for any money owed to the estate.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
owed by the estate.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
The marina/creditor should not be able to successfully sue and seize the boat without legal process --- which would now need to be issued to the estate given that he is deceased. So, you should be able to avoid issues of an immediate taking or seizure given the fact that the creditor/marina would have to come after the estate.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
If the marina is unwilling to negotiate or work something out, it may be that his boat has to be sold in order to pay the obligation to the marina.....but usually, a creditor will be agreeable to work something out.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.