Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.

In Pennsylvania does a family member such as a nephew have a

Customer Question

In Pennsylvania does a family member such as a nephew have a right to see his uncle's will and get a copy before it is probated?. The executor won't let the family see it.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 4 months ago.

Only if the nephew is a beneficiary of the will. Perhaps ask the executor if the nephew is a beneficiary of the will and then if so, the nephew is legally entitled to a copy of the will otherwise the executor would be breaching its fiduciary duty to the beneficiary. Otherwise, the most prudent course of action would be to obtain a copy as the will becomes a public record upon filing and determine what the will says then. Otherwise, it will be an uphill battle for involuntarily force an executor to provide a copy of the will pursuant to a court order.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.