J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
64316804

My father is still alive but has legal documents that give

Customer Question

My father is still alive but has legal documents that give power of attorney in case of mental incompetence. Is a probate attorney the right resource to help us navigate the issues?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am a new contributor to your question. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In general, yes a probate attorney should be able to assist with navigating this issue provided the attorney also actively practices in estate planning as well as probate. Ofter a probate attorney does both estate planning and probate as the two legal areas overlap. However, sometimes a lawyer will only do probate matters, meaning probate a will but this is not typical, and a probate lawyer will assist with filing necessary petitions in the event a person is incompetent and court orders are needed or assisting with helping the power of attorney take over the finances and matters set forth in the POA.

Here is a link to a list of Indiana local bar associations that provide lawyer referral services that can assist you with retaining a local attorney:

http://www.inbar.org/?page=local_bars

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I realize this was not the answer you were hoping to receive however I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).

Expert:  J. Warren replied 5 months ago.

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).