Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

Basic question--Can I repay money I owe my father, outside

Customer Question

Basic question--Can I repay money I owe my father, outside of the probate process?
Background--My father recently died and left everything 50/50 to my brother and I. Shortly we will start the probate process in Virginia. Three yrs ago, I borrowed $200,000 from my father to buy a house, instead of going to the bank. A formal mortgage was drawn up. I would like to repay the loan asap, and not tie up the loan repayment in the probate process. Is it OK for me to go ahead and directly pay my brother his share of the $200,000 loan which would be $100,000. Also, father died totally debt free, no creditors.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, I am on a mobile unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response – but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. Since your father is deceased you would be paying back his estate. I absolutely would NOT encourage you to pay this money to your brother because, to explain it as straightforwardly as possible, it "wouldn't count" as paying back the estate. Does that make sense?

Hello. I noticed you have not yet submitted a rating and therefore it remains "Open" on my end. I was wondering if you need any additional information or need me to clarify anything first. I’d be happy to do so. Please do NOT provide a negative rating if there's something you are unclear about; please just ask a follow up question and I'll be happy to answer it.