Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

Does an adult adoptee have inheritance rights from s/her

Customer Question

Does an adult adoptee have inheritance rights from his/her birth mother in the State of Louisiana? Adoptee was adopted as a child.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. I'm not sure if you are the adoptee but if so, I'm sorry - the answer is no. Once someone is adopted the relationship with the birth parent is severed and therefore the person cannot inherit from the birth parent. I hope that makes sense.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It does indeed. I am, unfortunately the adoptee, but at least I now have a clear answer to my question. May I ask, does that apply to every State?

I'm not aware of any state where that would not apply. It's the nature of adoption - one relationship is severed while another one is established. Is there anything else I can help you with? I wish I could have given you better news but I would be lying and that wouldnt help you.

I see that you've requested a phone call. I'd be happy to speak on the phone but am getting a notation asking to have you contact customer service. Otherwise, we can of course continue on here :)

Is there anything else I can help you with? I'd be happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

Hello again. I wanted to make sure you have all of the information you need. If I can help you with anything else please let me know.