Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.

My nephew is deceased, he received a retirement check each

Customer Question

my nephew is deceased, he received a retirement check each month from empower. According to his will I am to inherit his assets. Since he did not name a beneficery, on his retirement what can I do?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.

If the pension does not name a beneficiary then the proceeds, assuming no contradictory provisions in the plan, go to the estate to be divided in accordance with the will.

So, the will would need to be admitted to probate and an executor appointed. The executor would then contact the plan administrator and the funds would be paid into the estate to be distributed after all lawful claims against the estate are resolved.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.