Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate

My father passed away over seven years ago. The estate has

Customer Question

My father passed away over seven years ago. The estate has still not been settled, but there are two personal injury settlements that he would get for 90,000 dollars. My brother is the executive of the estate and has done nothing to further the process to close the estate, and the estate lawyer has not
gotten in touch with me despite my phone calls. Am i entitled to some of the money and what kind of lawyer would i have to higher?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

If your brother is dragging his heels about settling the estate, then your recourse here is to hire a probate law attorney to file a "motion to compel". This will force brother to appear in front of the probate judge and explain what is taking so long to settle the estate and what he plans to do about it. If the judge doesn't like his explanation, he can sanction him, put him under a deadline to get it done, or even remove him and appoint someone else to settle the estate.