Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I received a letter from the HOA last fall with a demand

Customer Question

I received a letter from the HOA last fall with a demand that I paint my entire home before October 2016. I responded with a letter to the HOA proposing an alternative: I would be willing to pay for minor issues in the home, and I argued that their assessment was subjective and suggest they contact their legal counsel. Their attorney wrote me back and clarified the issue and I did not pursue anything more. I recently hired painters who are coming next week to paint the home.Several days ago I found my family's community center membership suspended. The HOA now says I owe them $400 since February to reimburse attorney fees because I specifically mentioned the name of their legal counsel in the letter. Can I fight this and should I pay the fees for fear of worse consequences?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 4 months ago.

You can certainly fight it but the cost and expense of fighting them and the risk of them incurring more legal fees may not be worth it.

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating is appreciated.