How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29780
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the executor of my mother's estate. Her trust was

Customer Question

I am the executor of my mother's estate. Her trust was written 20 years ago, and although she is still with us, several changes need to be made to the trust. Some retirement accounts have changed and my mother would like to change the method in which the funds are distributed to one of the beneficiaries. Her trust was drawn up by Herbert B. Rhodes, attorney at law, and I have not been able to locatehim to make these changes. Is this something that you can help me with?
JA: OK. The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: Not much else really. There are some names misspelled in the doc, some investments have been added and/or subtracted, and one of my three brothers is not capable of handling his share of the estate. My mother wants that spelled out in the trust if need be. In reading the trust, it appears that as primary successor I may have the power already to do this, but I need to know for sure. She would like his share to be given in monthly increments. Also, this brother, as is my mother, in poor health, and the remaining value of his share would need to be returned to the trust.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Any local attorney can make changes to your mother's revocable trust. It does not have to be the attorney who created the original trust agreement. In fact, if it is 20 yrs old, it is probably a good idea to have it reviewed in light of legal changes over the past couple of decades.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.