KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW

My significant other passed away in April. The only thing

Customer Question

My significant other passed away in April. The only thing that wasn't in my name or jointly owned was his 2001 Chevy S10 which we did not get signed over to me before he passed. I was told I need to have the taken care of in Probate. How do I get this started and does it really need to be done in Probate?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In Ohio, if you were married then the vehicle can be transferred to you as the surviving spouse.

If you were married then you must bring to the Title Office, acceptable identification, certified copy of the death certificate, Application(s) for Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle (Form BMV 3774) , Original Ohio Certificate of Title number (if applicable), Clerk of Courts Surviving Spouse Affidavit (form BMV 3773) listing vehicle make, model, year, body type, and vehicle identification number (VIN) and the value of the vehicle , and payment for title fees.

I you were not married then the transfer must go through the Probate Court.

I hope this helps with your question.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.
they were correct that it must go through Probate if you were not married.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, yes if you were not married you must go through the probate process in Ohio.