Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate

Can I protect property by putting it into an irrevocable

Customer Question

Can I protect property by putting it into an irrevocable trust?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

As a general rule yes, as long as you aren't being actively sued now or anticipate it within 6 months or so. Otherwise it can be considered "fraud on a creditor" if the intent is to keep creditors from being able to collect on a debt. The creditor can challenge the transfer an claim it was done with intent to defraud and that it was a fraudulent conveyance and ask a judge to set aside the normal protections of the trust.

If you feel your original question has been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.