Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

Can revocable or irrevocable trust protect you against

Customer Question

can revocable or irrevocable trust protect you against nursing homes
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

A revocable trust provides no creditor protection; it's simply a means to avoid probate. Because it's revocable, the assets are still within the control of the grantor and thus creditors can go after assets in a revocable trust. An irrevocable trust would provide protection, but if government aid is being sought for nursing care, you do need to be aware that there is a 5-year look back period...meaning that any assets transferred to an irrevocable trust or other party for less than fair market value will be considered in the grantor's/donor's eligibility for government assistance.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!