Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

I have land that I bought from my parents a few years ago

Customer Question

I have land that I bought from my parents a few years ago and there is a life estate with this property. When I bought this land myself and my parents both life here but in seperate homes. Only myself and my dad are the only two left here. I feel like I'm a prisioner here because of this life estate law. I'm always being threatened and forced to pay taxes that is his responsability. Since I also live there I have no problem with paying the taxes. Before I started paying the full amount we shared whatever the amount was. But now, he sayes that he will evict me if I don't pay all of them.
We have not gotten along very well for several years and it been a lot worse now that my mom has passed away. He is always threatening to evict me for somekind of a crazy reason. Because of this law I can't do what I want on the land that I'm paying taxes on and have no say so what so ever. I am no longer able to work because of health reason and have very little income. I can't afford to move and don't I'm in physical shape to do so. He and I will never get along and I'm so affraid that he will evict me. He has served eviction papers on me before but we were able to kind of work things out. That only lasted for a short time though. I stay to myself and don't bother him at all.
It has always been a big power issue with this man and ever since he has this life estate law that Indiana has it has gotten worse. Can he still evict me eventhough I'm disabled and have very little income?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.
Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.Who has the life estate? If you own the property how are they going to evict you?