Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I have applied received an EIN Mom's Irrevocable Trust after

Customer Question

I have applied for and received an EIN for my Mom’s Irrevocable Trust after She past. An account has been set up using that number to distribute funds to the beneficiary’s. Her house is listed in the Trust. I sent the mortgage bank all the necessary document related to the trust including power of attorney and the deed to the house listing me as the trustee. That allowing me to assume making the payments and handle any other business related to the sale of the house.
After the selling of her house the Bank sent me a check for escrow overpayments (taxes & house insurance). They made the check out to her estate even though I sent them all the document showing it was in a trust. Now the bank says that the account I opened is only for the trust funds not for estate funds. Do I need to apply for a 2nd EIN for the estate check?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 6 months ago.
They should replace the check and issue a new one payable to the trust. No need to execute a new EIN.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon. Was the deed to the house and the loan/mortgage in her name when she passed away, or was it in the trust?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To answer your question. The deed was registered listing my name as the trustee for the trust. The loan was in my Mom's name only. .After my Mom past all future correspondence with the bank listed my name and was sent to my address.
can I clarify anything else?