Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

H i, i'm JA: The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with

Customer Question

H
i, i'm
JA: The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Andrew here, My girlfriend past away with credit card debt, that I am not connected to in any way. Creditors keep sending bills. I was advised to do nothing, however I feel the need to atleast send them copies of death certificate. Shouls I let them know?
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: Sorry did you get that last message?
JA: Is there anything else the Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: She had no assets.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. It is true you have no legal liability to pay these debts or any legal obligation to even respond. But, it is courteous, and a means to stop the ongoing correspondence, to send them a letter informing them of her death (include a copy of the death certificate) and that her estate has no assets to pay the debt. That will let them know they need to write off the debt and stop sending the bills. Also, let me say how sorry I am for the loss your girl friend; I know this must be a very difficult time and I will certainly keep you in my prayers! Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!