Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My brother and I own a house left by our mother as part of

Customer Question

My brother and I own a house left by our mother as part of her estate. The problem is that I have had to pay almost all the taxes, home owners insurance, utilities, repairs, as well as doing all the work to maintain the property. My brother spends most of his time in bed watching TV while I do the work. I also buy almost all the food, do the cooking and keep the house clean too. Is there a legal option to make him either sell his half or move out? He thinks he should get half if we sell it but he has not put in half of the expenses. Please advise me on my legal options?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon Rebecca,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades and I handle real estate law as well as estate issues.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Am I to understand that you are living with your brother in the home now?

2. How long has the property been owned by you and your brother?

3. Did the two of you have an agreement as to who would pay the expenses after you move in together? What was that agreement?

Thanks in advance,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.