RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

I was married in 2009 but was with him years three children

Customer Question

I was married in 2009 but was with him for twenty years three children together I have raised my younger son on my own for years with no help from him I bought a townhouse with my money before we were married I paid all the bills then we got married when I went to sell it he took half now he owns a condo and a business should I walk away
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight. You have a half interest here in any community property acquired by him during your marriage.You can seek a fair division of property during the divorce. The general rule is that Florida is an “Equitable Distribution” state, and marital property, property acquired during the marriage with marital funds or labor, will be divided equally upon divorce (unless there is a reason for an unequal division).Florida law requires an equitable division but also states that in most cases equitable means equal. You may want to consider a lawyer and filing here and an equitable division through the judge if you cannot resolve it. You appear to have valid concerns for dividing assets and seeking to end the marriage.He does not appear to have treated you fairly up to this point. I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again and the best here.
Reference to dividing property http://www.divorcenet.com/states/florida/equitable_distribution_of_property Lawyer referral Lawyer Referral Service Online - Available 24/7Phone(###) ###-####onday through Friday8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
I am so sorry that you are having to go through this.I wish you the best.