J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
64316804

Is someone there that is familiar with Washington State Law?

Customer Question

Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.I am sorry you are dealing with this situation and my condolences on the loss of your father. If your father never signed and properly executed a Will, his estate is considered an intestate (without a will) estate and subject to the intestacy succession laws of Washington. Under the law, when there is no spouse (which in this case there is not, the divorced severed the relationship) the estate is divided among the surviving biological children. The fact he intended to have things go to his ex-spouse but did not properly execute a Last Will and Testament does not mean things go to her. She is entitled to nothing. What can you do? An intestate probate needs to be opened in the County in which he resided. As his child you can petition to be the executor, the probate judge will then issue you authority to administer the estate in accordance with State law (1/2 to each of the surviving children).I strongly encourage you to retain local counsel to asset you with this. However, probate forms are available on most County probate court websites. But to put a stop to her continuing to carry on as if everything is hers, a probate will need to be opened. This link will take you to the probate court information and forms website: http://www.wa-probate.com/ All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).
Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).