Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.

Our father passed away and left a will leaving all property

Customer Question

our father passed away and left a will leaving all property tangible real and a house to his
four daughters. he designated at personal representative not related to carry our his wishes. our question is are we required to sell the house or can it just be transferred over to us?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. As long as the estate has sufficient other assets to pay the debts and liabilities of the estate, then there is no legal requirement to sell the home. Rather, the personal representative can simply sign a deed transferring title to the house to the 4 of you in undivided 25% ownership interests. Under Federal law, even if there happens to be a mortgage on the house, as long as the mortgage payments continue to made, the transfer to the 4 of you will not give the lender the right to call the loan. :) Also, let me tell you how sorry I am for the loss of your dad. I lost my own dad a few years ago and know what a difficult time this can be. I will certainly keep all of you in my prayers! Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!