Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I live in Ohio, but my son has recently died in Pennsylvania.

Customer Question

I live in Ohio, but my son has recently died in Pennsylvania. He had no wife or children and no estate...only a car which we have already returned to the bank. I have received the remainder of his life insurance (after funeral expenses) and his Pension Fund. These total approx. $11,000. I have also received his final paycheck and the balance from his bank account which total approx. $2,000. I don't expect to receive any additional income. Myself and my other children wish to donate the monies to the Non-profit Christian Camp where he was working/living. In Ohio, we have been told we may contribute the $11,000, but the paycheck & bank balance should be used to pay any bills we might discover that he owes. Help!! BARB
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 6 months ago.
Hello, what precisely would you like to know about this situation?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We want to know if Pennsylvania law is the same as Ohio. Since I am the beneficiary of the Life Insurance and the Pension Fund, may I do as I please with those funds? And, with his personal final paycheck and his bank balance, must those monies be used to pay any personal debts we might find he owes?
As beneficiary have full discretion. Accounts and policies that identify beneficiaries can use funds without paying down deceased debts. Typically it is only estate debts that need to be covered such as funeral expenses.I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know. I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.