Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

We are seniors, hubby in long term care in a Ventura NH for

Customer Question

We are seniors, hubby in long term care in a Ventura NH for 2 years, unable to move his legs. I am 80, having fallen and injured six times in the past 2 years (two times ending up very briefly in the hospital - once with a cracked skull and the other a broken shoulder). We own a midtown home with a studio apt. attached. We took out a Reverse Mortgage without understanding the need for it. Eventually, hubby went on Medicaid to pay for high-level nursing care. He is helpless, a bed patient. We worry that we should have wills and two different plans for our last days here, depending which one passes on first. Each of us has a brother-at-a-distance, who is capable of managing property and/or marketing it. Both brothers are not close -- living at a distance, and also not too interested.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your question?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My question WAS: What is the best procedure for my husband and I to follow, preparing for old age and death? If this is the beginning of a series of service discussions, please withdraw us. I certainly don't want to pay, on a continuing basis, for worthless info. If possible, my husband and I wish to withdraw from your program. We had no idea what your services entail. If we must pay for this response above, please bill us now, and turn off your meter. No additional fees whatsoever. Thank you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor opted out.
Please understand all the previous contributor did was ask you a question for more information. The experts are not employees of this site and get nothing from you until you leave positive feedback when we are done. Each reply is not charged to you separately, it is one fee and right now all you have done is made a deposit. The system does work best with back and forth communication between customer and expert and once you have the information you were seeking you are expected to only then leave positive feedback so the expert gets credit for the time spent with you. Also, if you get offers for premium service, keep in mind those are auto generated by the site and the expert has no control over them and you can ignore them if you want. Hope that clears up how the site works a little better for you.
If you are both getting or on the verge of needing to apply for medicaid benefits within the next five years, it is a bit too late for you to do very much as far as moving your assets around.
This is why the previous expert wanted to know what your specific questions are, since you have wills and your husband is already on medicaid for long term care. We need to know more details about your situation and specifically what you mean about the best procedure.
We will go back and forth with you to answer each specific question you have based on the information you provide us so we do not provide you worthless information.