Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate

In the state of Maryland if an estate probate case closed in

Customer Question

In the state of Maryland if an estate probate case closed in January 2016 what is the deadline for the personal representative to make distributions to the estate beneficiaries?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..That is kind of a trick question because the estate can't be legally closed until a final accounting is filed with the clerk of the register of wills stating what the distributions are. After that all the assets are distributed to the heirs within 30 days of the approval of the accounting..Following the audit and approval of the account by the court, the court immediately shall execute an order of approval subject to any exceptions. Exceptions to the account have to be filed within 20 days after entry of the order approving the account and shall include the grounds for the exceptions in reasonable detail. ..A copy of the exceptions are served on the personal representative. If no timely exceptions are filed, the order of the court approving the account becomes final. Distribution under the account as approved by the court will be made within 30 days after the order of court approving the account becomes final. .The final approval of the final account automatically closes the estate...So if the estate has been closed, then the final accounting has been approved and the personal rep would have distributed all the assets within 30 days of it being approved...thanksBarrister