Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.

If you are named as a beneficiary in a trust, are you entitled

Customer Question

If you are named as a beneficiary in a trust, are you entitled to a complete copy of the legal document?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.A trust is not the same as a will. While a will, once filed with the probate court is a public record, a trust is a private document. So, while the trustee is legally obligated to provide a beneficiary with the provisions of the trust applicable to that beneficiary, they are not obligated to provide the entire trust agreement, absent a provision to the contrary in the trust or a court order.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Of course, the trustee may voluntarily provide a full copy of the trust, but they have no general or statutory obligation to do so.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.