Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My grandmother passed 4 months ago and my side of the family

Customer Question

,My grandmother passed 4 months ago and my side of the family would like a copy of the will or trust. The in-laws sent us a partial copy, stating they are not comfortable sending the entire will. Can I get a copy from probate court? The portion of the will we were given mentions a trust as well. Can we get a copy of both? (I live in Ca.)
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..If someone has filed a probate case to settle grandmother's estate, then as part of that case, they have to file a petition to open a probate case and file a copy of the will along with the petition. Once it is filed, anything in a probate case is a public document so anyone can get a copy of it. That means that anyone can get a full copy of the will from the clerk of the court..As for a trust, they are completely confidential and unless it is recorded as part of the probate case, the only way to get a copy is if someone is a named beneficiary in the trust. If so, they can send a written request certified mail to the trustee of the trust and request a copy...thanksBarrister