CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I moved into a abandoned home. It's been empty since 2013 the

Customer Question

I moved into a abandoned home. It's been empty since 2013 the owners live in Iowa and their house got foreclosed. I have fixed up the house and even have insurance on it. Can I claim adverse possession
JA: The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I have put all utilities in my name except the water company won't turn my water on
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.
Dear Customer,Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.Adverse possession rules vary from one state to another, so you will need to provide me with the state that the home is located in so that I can best assist you.You appear to be exercising many of the necessary elements to prove an "adverse possession" - you are openly occupying the home against the title owner's interests, and have done so for 3 years, but you likely are going to have to do so for some time longer (the exact amount of time depends on your state).The other issue (the one that usually becomes a problem) is whether or not the property owners are still paying their property taxes. If they are, that usually will stop any claim of adverse possession (again it depends on the state). However, if you are the one paying the property taxes, this goes a long way towards helping your claim (and in many states is a mandatory element for adverse possession).