Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 yrs of professional experience.
16823287

WHEN MY 2 SISTERS DID THE PAPERWORK TO HAVE MY MOTHER CREMATED

Customer Question

WHEN MY 2 SISTERS DID THE PAPERWORK TO HAVE MY MOTHER CREMATED LAST MONTH THEY SAID SHE ONLY HAD 2 CHILDREN WHEN IN FACT SHE HAD 4. IS THIS LEGAL? IF NOT, WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO. I WILL IF I FIND OUT THAT THIS WAS NOT LEGAL. BY THE WAY, I AM THE OLDEST. THE YOUNGER 2 ARE FROM HER LAST MARRIAGE. WE ALL KNOW EACH OTHER.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: MY MOHER PASSED AWAY LAST MONTH AT THE AGE OF 88. SHE SUFFERRED FROM DEMENTIA FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS. MY 2 YOUNGER SISTERS DID NOT WANT ME OR MY BROTHER INVOLVED IN HER PASSING. THEY HAD HER SENT FROM HOSPICE TO THE MARYLAND CREMATORIUM. I CALLED THERE TO GET SOME INFO. THEY TOLD ME THAT MY SISTERS SAID SHE ONLY HAD 2 CHILDREN. MY MOTHER HAD AN INSURANCE POLICY THAT MY YOUNGEST SISTER WAS BENEFICIARY OF. IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN QUITE ENOUGH FOR A VIEWING AND BURIAL-- ONLY $3500.00. MY BROTHER AND I WERE WILLING TO PAY THE REST. I KNOW MY MOTHER DID NOT WANT TO BE CREMATED. THAT CAN'T BE UNDONE BUT IF LYING ON THE CREMATION PAPERWORK WAS ILLEGAL I WOULD WANT TO PRESS CHARGES AGAINST THEM.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: NOT THAT I KNOW OF.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK. THANK YOU.
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.
HERE is the MD law that applies. In order for the false statement to be punishable, you would need to check the document they signed to see if it contained language of an "oath: or "affirmation" in an affidavit.