Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My mom left her estate to my brother and I she had a will my

Customer Question

my mom left her estate to my brother and I she had a will my brother passed away before her . do receive his share or does his wife .
JA: OK. The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Estate Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: every thing was left equally too my brother and I . Home insurance every thing . does my sister In law receive my brothers half.
JA: Is there anything else the Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: we live in Mo.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.Unless the will states otherwise, the Missouri anti lapse statute would apply and the deceased brother's share would go to his children, if any, to share between them, or to you, if there are no children. His wife would not generally receive his share, unless the will specifically provided for her in that situation.This is the Missouri statute:474.460. When any estate is devised to any child, grandchild or other relative of the testator, and the devisee dies before the testator, or is treated as if he predeceased the testator, leaving lineal descendants who survive the testator by one hundred twenty hours, the descendants shall take the estate, real or personal, as the devisee would have done if he had survived the testator by one hundred twenty hours.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.