Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

The estate consists primarily of farm land. If there is no

Customer Question

The estate consists primarily of farm land. If there is no official documentation of any kind between the siblings related to joint tenancy, what are my rights as the widow of one of the siblings?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 7 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.If there is no documentation regarding joint tenancy, you would have to look at the deed. If the deed is in the siblings name but possibly not jointly then the land could be separated and owned individually. If the siblings names are ***** ***** the deed because no one bothered to change the deed when it passed to the siblings previously, you as a widow would have rights to your spouse's portion of the land. You will most likely need to hire an attorney to trace back the lineage of the deed and get the deed in the name of the correct party. If your spouse is one of those correct parties, you would receive your rightful portion.Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please positively rate my answer if satisfied. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by this site. There should be numbers from 1 through 5 or smiley faces to choose from. Thank you in advance.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?